openSUSE Education community is proud to announce openSUSE-Edu Li-f-e: Linux for Education based on openSUSE 11.2 . Li-f-e flavor bundles the best of softwares openSUSE has to offer, such as most popular Desktop Environments, educational application, development suites, multimedia, great user experience out of the box, and a lot more that is expected in a modern Operating System.
Some highlights of what makes this a very special distribution:
- Latest desktop environments: Gnome 2.28 + KDE 4.3.x + Sugar 0.86 + IceWM. Session defaults to Gnome, choice of booting into KDE is available right from the boot menu or at the login screen
- Applications include tons of Educational apps, graphics, development(many IDEs, compilers, debuggers etc), office suite, and complete multimedia support.
- LTSP server. LTSP allows you to run openSUSE on the PCs in the network without even installing or modifying local disks, just PXE boot the machines you want as thin clients. 5 users are already created for testing, linux1 – linux5, password is linux. openSUSE’s KIWI-LTSP has a lot more features and ease of use not available anywhere else. KIWI-LTSP automatically sets up all the services required to run the server including, DHCP, NBD/AoE, TFTP etc. Ideal for school/university labs and even offices.
- Hybrid iso image, single image to burn to DVD or dd it to USB stick, USB session can be persistent if second partition is created. It can be easily installed on hard disk by running live-installer from the desktop or boot menu. Information on how to create persistent live USB from the iso see this post.
- Profiled DVD same performance tweaks as official openSUSE 11.2 medias
- …and lot more in neat little 2.9G package
See the screenshot gallery to find out what exactly to expect in this distro.
Torrent download here.
Use rsync or wget to download the image as firefox is known to do incomplete downloads.
The fastest way to download is using metalink client. Here is an example of commandline metalink client aria2:
aria2c -c http://www.opensuse-education.org/download/ISOs/openSUSE-Edu-li-f-e-11.2-latest-i686.iso.metalink
Drop us a line if you would like to mirror this image.
Thank you openSUSE Education team members for creating perhaps the best educational resource available on Linux, all the openSUSE developers for the excellent work on 11.2 release, Marcus Schäfer for the great tool KIWI, Stephan Kulow for writing Clicfs and all the cool(o) scripts that is used to create this iso image and everyone who tested and provided feedback to improve this distribution.
As always we would like to hear from you, what would you like to see improved.
Li-f-e’s worth sharing, digg/tweet/blog/fb/share it
Both comments and pings are currently closed.